Thursday, October 8, 2009

Not exactly sewing, but...


Yesterday there was a mass email sent to all the parents in my son's class to volunteer to bring a treat for the teacher's birthday. Knowing me, I am always up for any excuse to bake. So I made Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. Yum! They were so yummy and pretty I didn't want to let them go. Lucky for me....ahem, us, another mother had volunteered to bring cupcakes before I had so I was relieved of my duties to send my youngling off with an arm full of cupcakes. You guessed it, we got to stuff our mouths with the yummy treats!
Here is the recipes I used:


Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
2 C All-Purpose Flour
1/3 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 t Salt
1/2 C Butter softened
1-1/2 C White Sugar 2 Eggs 1 C Buttermilk or (1 C Milk + 1 T White Vinegar) 1 oz. Red food coloring 1 t Vanilla Extract
1 t Baking Soda
1-1/2 T White Vinegar

Directions:
Mix the dry ingredients together except for the baking soda. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well after each addition. Add the vanilla and the food coloring. Mix well. Add the buttermilk (or milk+white vinegar mixture) and flour mixture alternating between the two, but ending with flour. Mix the baking soda and white vinegar together. Do not over mix. Add baking soda/white vinegar mixture to batter, mixing just until incorporated.

Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Makes 2 dozen muffins

Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
8 oz Cream Cheese (room temperature)
1/2 C Butter
1 t Vanilla Extract
2 C Powdered Sugar

Directions:
Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add vanilla extract and mix. Add Powdered sugar slowly and mix.

Cool cupcakes completely and then ice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment