Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sewing Magazines


Just picked up the latest issue of Stitch Magazine by Quilting Arts. Perusing through the pages gets me inspired and wondering "what I'm doing with a magazine in my hand? I should be in my studio right now sewing!" It is one of my favorite magazines for sewing and inspiration because it features patterns for hip new items, websites to visit, tips and techniques, and an array of yummy pictures that triggers all kinds of ideas. The only downfall to Stitch is there is no option to subscribe, thus no opportunity to save on some mula. At $14.99 (some issues are less, for example summer was a mere $7.99 in comparison) an issue it seems logical to want to pay the yearly fee if they'd offer it.

Sew News is another great magazine. A bimonthly snippet to keep your focus of sewing in check. This one you can subscribe to and I highly recommend you do. They feature some basic patterns geared mainly towards beginners and intermediate sewers. The articles, tips and technique contents of the magazine are pretty handy especially for someone like me who lack formal sewing training.

Another great magazine I enjoy is Sew Hip which is based in the UK. Similar to Stitch but with a European flare, all of the measurements for the patterns threw me off because they were in SI units. I had to pull out some conversions in order to make the cute shoulder bag it featured in their summer issue. Overall the magazine had some pretty cool articles and loads of patterns. It even featured a DIY knickers pattern, just in case you were ever curious on how to make undies.


I'm not a quilter and I found there to be a slew of quilting magazines in print. Occasionally the quilters magazine may have a purse pattern or something of interest, but I rather not spend the $5 to $7 on a magazine for one pattern. I wish there were more magazines geared towards the new generations of sewing enthusiasts that contains useful information spanning all sewing crafts (not just quilting or dress making) and an abundance of eye candy.

2 comments:

me said...

I just discovered Stitch too, and loved it!!!



RK CLOTHING DESIGNS said...

hello sir i really like your blog many knowledgeable information in this blog and every articles in this blog really very nice thanks for share it.
Zithromax



Post a Comment