Sunday, November 22, 2009

Paper, my first love...



Before fabric and its array of wonder, I worked with paper. My first job, many years ago, was at Flax Art and Design in San Francisco, California. I knew nothing about art nor did I care that I did, I just needed a job and I needed it fast. My first position was as a cashier, but within a few months I moved into the paper room and was soon thrown into a world of constant inspiration in the form of paper.



Just imagine a warehouse filled with rows upon rows of steal metal flat-files all containing two, sometimes three different designs or patterns of large sheets of paper. Raw materials waiting to be made into something, yet occasionally able to stand alone as an art piece. The ideas were endless and I would spent my time at work thinking of the next project. I kept a journal in my pocket and inspired by customers (clients as we called them) or the object itself, I would sketch out designs into it. I've gone from constructing lamp shades to burning paper (made from a sort of plastic material, I was trying to obtain an artistic sculpture-like look by manipulating the plastic as it heated up and eventually burned), but the most fun was in bookbinding.

The first books I made were pitiful. The glue I used seeped through the cover and I didn't put enough pressure on the book while it was drying so, the book buckled and the folds were loose. My technique was messy and as precise as I thought I was when I scored and punched holes through the pages of the book, I was usually 1/8"off every single time.





After purchasing and reading several books on bookbinding, upgrading my tools (I bought a drill and heavy duty clamps to make uniform holes though the binder's board and pages), trial and error, I improved my bookbinding skills and was finally happy with the results I could produce. One book from start to finish could take a full day to complete, but the masterpiece at the end was always worth the laborious steps.


Pictured are a few of what remains of my bookbinding/paper days. I promise myself that one day, when space allows, I will set up a bookbinding studio along side my sewing studio and enjoy my two favorite hobbies.




0 comments:

Post a Comment